Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 48 (week 7) - not much rest today

Today started with a noble idea: getting up early and getting our household shopping out of the way before we lost most of the day. Unfortunately, between taking the time to plan our menu and Mrs. F's efforts to ready some of the kids to come with us, it was past 9:30 AM before we headed out. It became a long day. By the time we got home, it was time to start prepping dinner. As of this writing, the little ones have been fed, but the rest of us have about another 20 minutes before dinner is ready.

We're trying to buy better foods, especially more veggies. We're going to try replacing mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower, but cauliflower heads are currently $3.50 each. The cost of mashed cauliflower cannot compare with the cost of mashed potatoes. That's just one example. Eating healthier just costs more than gobs of potatoes and pasta.

For us, that's going to be one of the biggest challenges. Mrs. F and I pride ourselves at being quite thrifty--we make a lot from scratch--but budget dollars are a major limitation for us. We've already trimmed the fat from our budget, so we have few options to help us buy the foods that will help us trim the fat from our waists.

My knee held out pretty well today. It still is a bit achy, though. Checking just a few moments ago, I'm running a low grade fever and I have sore throat. So much for isolating the sick ones to keep the rest of us healthy.

Anyway, I need to go and check the oven. Have a good night, all.

2 comments:

  1. Is mashed cauliflower that much better for you than mashed potatoes? I know you have less carbs so the impact on blood sugar is lower. Other than that, is it much better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes are predominatly carb, with little other nutritional value (without their skins). The cauliflower, beyond being low carb, has more nutritional value.

    We don't have to have it regularly--it's just something we've wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!