Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 43 Week 7 Day 1 (Mrs. F)

I was tired, it was cold, it was snowing and I did not want to get up and run today. In the past, days like today would have been the ones where I put it off until another day. And then keep putting it off until the habit was firmly dead. Im pleased to say with Mr. F's help, I did not put off todays run!

I could feel the effects of too little sleep and too much junk food from this weekend. So it was hard to start and hard to get moving. For the first five minutes, the desire to walk was really really strong! It took every once of willpower I had to not walk and to deliberatly up my pace. If I run too slowly, it increases my desire to walk. So I need to be at a reasonable pace. And Im not running very fast by far but I need to be moving.This morning, I just didnt have the energy to get moving.

Slowly I increased my pace and the run was better. Still hard but better. Mr. F's announcement that we were more than halfway really surprised me. The first part had drug on so slowly that I figured I had tons of running yet to do.

I spent some time doubling back, per Mr. F's request. I would run ahead of him aways and then turn around, run back toward him and when I reached him, turn back the direction he was going. So I may have covered a bit more distance this way and it encouraged Mr. F -- a win win.

When Mr. F announced the last minute, I was super surprised. Since we had started further along the trail, we were nowhere near the same distance point we normally are at this juncture. So I sped up steadily. Mr. F whizzed on by me (he has a wicked sprint) and then slowed down again. So since i had kept my increased pace steady I was able to finish ahead of him still.

All in all a good run. I have a bit of shin splints starting on my left leg and my muscles are sore. But Im just going to try and take it easy on the rest days and let my body recooperate.

Keep on running
Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!