Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 47 Week 7, Day 5 -- Mrs. F

I thought it was going to be a good relatively easy run today -- NOT! I got extra sleep since we were running later. The weather was warmer and it was a fairly nice day out. I felt good and ready to run. I was not prepared for how hard and miserable todays run would be.

I really cannot pinpoint any specific factor that gave me aha, thats why it was hard today. I did do some extra exercise yesterday ( I biked 5.8 miles yesterday) but I didnt seem sore or overtired by that. It wasnt overly cold, temps in the low 40s, not bad at all. I went to bed around 10 and got up 745. My baby was only up once, so not a bad night of sleep either. ITs sorta puzzling to me.

It just was hard. I took my sons watch with me today and that made it harder in some regards. I forced myself to not look at it for the first time until I reached the trail end to turn around. So i ran 1/2 mile to 7/10 of a mile in around 7 minutes. Not too shabby! I really felt like I was slogging thru it all. Just had to keep myself moving. At one point when I had turned back with Mr. F and hit the trail end again, I found myself walking 3 steps. AACK! I had to quickly get myself moving again. I had slowed down to be with Mr. F at his pace and my body responds with okay if you are going too slow, might as well walk.

Mr. F was particularly struggling today so I made some extra efforts to double back and encourage him. I noticed that as I turned running back to him, his pace quickened and he was moving a bit faster then.

The watch was helpful in the latter half of the run. It was more encouraging to see the halfway point and to look and figure out that I had 8 or 5 minutes left.

My breathing was okay today but I was running a much slower pace. I had no energy at the end to sprint with Mr. F . So I just continued on my slow and steady pace and finished up the workout. I felt okay in the last five minutes and the end but it wasnt until that point that any of the running felt good at all. I was thinking today and I thought I "liked" running, who am I kidding?

I am encourage though that Mr. F and I did it! We completed 7 weeks of running and that is no small feat. In the last 8 days we have done 100 minutes of running -- who knew we could do this? Im still amazed that I can run 25 minutes straight, miserable or not~!

Keep on running
Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!