Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 44 - Mrs. F

I'm feeling pretty drained today. I really hope Im not getting sick. A couple of the kids are down with fevers and flu-like symptoms.

Body is doing okay, although my lower back is giving me trouble this morning. Muscles feel okay and the shin split on the left leg feels fine right now.

Its harder for me to get excited to run in the cold weather. I really dont enjoy being cold. Its harder to get moving and going, even though I know once IM running, ill feel warm.

I am still on the hunt for a treadmill. The plan is to run outside as long as possible until the snow/ice/weather forces us indoors. Then, we are hoping to have found a treadmill that will be able to continue our workouts.

It was exciting yesterday to go into our local pharmacy and talk with our pharmacist. She is doing the couch to 5k, after being inspired by our doing this as well as another worker there. I love seeing the effects stretching far beyond our circle of people! I am still amazed that indeed in 7 weeks, I can run 25 minutes.

Looking forward to my sons conference meet this evening. I changed my bet to him, that if he beats his personal best (18:55) I will run 2 minutes with him. And if he beats it by 30 seconds or more, I will run 5!

Keep on running
Mrs. F

4 comments:

  1. I just want to thank both of you for blogging this adventure. I had heard about the Couch to 5k from a friend who was looking to do it, but I needed to read some firsthand experiences to believe I could do it, too. My husband and I started this week. Our second run is set for tomorrow morning. I'm also blogging (http://mereadventures.wordpress.com/). I'm hoping my blog will help keep me on track and possibly inspire others to take on the Couch to 5k.

    Keep it up!

    Meredith Olson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. and Mrs. F--
    I was just reading on the cool running board. People are actually telling themselves, "If Mr. F. can do it, so can I," and asking themselves, "What would Mr. F. do?" and not giving up.
    I was telling my husband about it.
    You're a running celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @meritage
    Thanks for dropping by, and I wish you success with the C25K program. I think blogging your progress is a great idea, not only for your own reference, but to help inspire others! I hope you're able to adjust to your dairy intolerance.

    @Amy
    I was humbled to see some of those comments earlier today. I need to be careful lest I get a fat head. ;) No, in all seriousness, I'm glad our story is helping others. Then, perhaps, their stories will help inspire even more people. I'm still astounded by how the actions of one little fat person (how's that for an oxymoron?) can influence the lives of so many!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amy...I love Mr and Mrs F...and the fact that the F will change from Fat to Fit...the whole transFormation thing. You guys are an inspiration for all couples that would like to create healthy active relationships with their family.

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!