Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Day 55 - a long, calorie-laden one

I've been stuck in my chair most of the day, trying to finish this week's required reading for my graduate program. I really hate sitting and reading when it's not something I picked out to read for fun.

Prior to starting the Couch-to-5k program, I would spend just as many hours in this chair, but it never bothered me that much. Now, I just don't like sitting still for hours and hours on end. And, speaking of ends, I must have lost some of the padding on my butt as I've dropped nearly 20 lbs. over these past eight weeks, because my but feels tough and sore after sitting all day.

Today was a caloric disaster. In an effort to stretch the family budget, I decided to make homemade biscuits and gravy today. It was a big hit, but boy, I took a bit hit on the food intake log. I need to remember to investigate nutritional content before I try a new recipie. I figured it would be a carb, fat, and calorie heavy meal, but I didn't expect a reasonable sized serving to something I could eat out of the depression in the middle of a saucer! Needless to say, I had a typical American serving this morning, so I tried to go lighter the rest of the day. I had some minor success, but dinner (a large portion of MultiGrain Cheerios) set me back even more.

Mrs. F and I did manage to steal away a short bike ride today. It helped limit the damage, but definately did not leave me at a caloric deficit today.

My knee feels fine today, and I have no muscle complaints in my legs or back. Two of our friends who follow this blog (Nathan and Amy) are thinking about starting the 100 Push-ups challenge soon. Mrs. F and I are thinking about joining them after we finish Week 9. We do plan to continue running. We may just add 5-10 minutes a week until our 5k, and from there we might try the One Hour Runner program. For now, we'll just keep at it. One of us will post something if we make up our minds.

I'm hoping to turn in soon. I found a good break point in my graduate work for the day, but I still need to crank out a paper tomorrow. I need to remember that I chose to do this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!