Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 51 - Mrs. F

Muscles are feeling fine today, thankfully and still a little bit of trouble above the left ankle. I iced it some last night, as I will tonight as well. Im hoping that the icing and rest will be enough to ease the discomfort. The right ankle/leg area felt fine this morning.

I still cannot believe that I am in week 8 of a running program. Me, the one who thought all people who run were crazy is running. I cannot wait until our eldest son finds out -- he will be happy! Of course Im betting I will hear something to the effect of "I told you that you could run". The other kids will be impressed but its our eldest boy that it will mean the most to. Hes the runner, the one who leads the pack and the one that the little ones look up to and emulate.

Im even looking forward to the day when I can run with our dog. Right Im concentrating on completeing the program so I havent brought him along. I think I will enjoy taking him with in the future months!

I have been contemplating whats beyond the race. The plan for now is to complete C25K which is this week and next. Then there will be 2 weeks to increase our distance and running times to improve for a race. Im leaning toward week 10 being either 33 or 35 minutes of running. The last week of C25k has us running 30 minutes. Then for week 11 either 35 or 38 minutes. Our race is November 14th. After that Im unsure of where to go next. I do know I want to keep running. Mr. F has talked of redoing the couch to 5k program using the distance method, so thats a possiblity. Another friend has mentioned one hour runner. I have seen mention of gateway to 8k but cannot find that plan anywhere. So Im just not sure where to go from here.

Keep on running
Mrs. F

1 comment:

  1. I found Gateway to 8K at the Itunes site. There is also the One Hour Runner. I believe you can start in week 3 of that because of the foundation you built up on C25K.

    Jeff Galloway also has a good plan:

    http://jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!