Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 49 - "Extra workout" - Mrs. F

It was really nice out, upper 40's to 50's. So I decided I was going to go for it. Orginally I had on a teeshirt layer which I ditched before I even hit the car. I could tell it was plenty warm. So I wore my warmwear(and i might have been able to ditch that too) and my yoga capri pants on bottom and my moisture wicking shirt with my windbreaker on top.

I parked the car a couple of blocks away from the trail, so I could do my warm up walk before i hit the trail. I really wanted an accurate idea of my mileage. I ran the first mile in 11 minutes. Probably a bit too fast as I got a sideache after the first 7/10th. That plagued off and on for the next mile or so. The next segment of trail was .66, so I set my goal for 7 and a half minutes. I was pleased that I did make that!!! It took everything I had though, so at the end of that segment, I allowed myself 30 seconds to walk. Then I began running again slowly. My body doesnt listen very well though. I set a goal of 10 minutes for the repeat .66 mile segment and completed it in 8 1/2 minutes. So I ran about 2.33 or so in 27 minutes.

Maybe cause Im stubborn or maybe cause I really wanted to see what my body could do. I kept running. I felt okay, so I allowed myself to go for it. After the 8 1/2 minute segment, I walked for 10 seconds(thinking I was going to do another 30 second walk) but I found myself ready to run at the start of our regular trail. I found the next half mile the easiest of all my running today. Im not sure if its that Im most familar with this segment of trail or that my body found its groove. The last half mile was hard though! This is where my stubborness comes into play. I was going to finish this or die trying lol. I slowed down some but I was determined to complete the whole 3.3 miles I had mapped out. The last mile I completed in 12 minutes!!!!

So all in all, with my 40 seconds(rounded up to a minute lol), I did 3.3 miles in 40 minutes. Not bad at all! Im excited now for the race. Although I suspect the race will have hills, so it will be harder.

Afterwords, I wasnt really in much pain. I noticed the bone on the side of my leg, right above the ankle, on both feet, being sore like shin splints. But that has eased up. Now since Ive been back home, my hips and quads are sore. But nothing too terrible. Don't remind me tommorrow, when tommorrows workout is hard, that this was my brilliant idea.

Keep on running,
Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!