Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 53 (week 8) - an early morning

Well, our school district is hosting a cross country meet this afternoon. It's the last set of races of the regular season. Next Thursday is the sectional meet for our eldest son. I'm up early to get an early start on the work day, so I can take off early to be there for today's races.

I feel pretty good this morning. I woke up about 10 minutes before the 5:30 AM alarm, I was dressed and had breakfast made and eaten by about 6:15. I've spent the last half-hour catching up on some posts, and I plan to sneak in a little online Scrabble before heading off to work. I'll be biking again today.

I started recording my daily food intake using the Daily Plate feature at Livestrong.com. Keeping track of everything you eat can be an eye opening experience. Since I'm trying to loose eight pounds per month, I set my weekly goal to 1.9 lbs per week. That should put me just over my monthly goal, if all goes well.

The site calculates your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and lets you select your normal daily activity level. Given the nature of my job, I selected "Light Activity". It then provides you with the target number of calories you may eat in a day if you want to meet your goal. You enter information on foods you eat (something that might be tricky, at first, if you are making more of your foods from scratch), and the site tracks the nutritional information and tells you how many calories are yet available in a given day. Then, when you work out (if you didn't include your workouts into your daily activity level), you create an entry for your workout, and it adjusts your caloric information to reflect the calories burned in your workout, so you'll still know what calories you need to maintain for your goal.

From what I've seen, the site has many more features. I'll definately be exploring it more later. I'm not prepared to share all of my eating habits here, but I may incorporate some summary information into my Friday weight check.

Well, I need to get moving. I'm looking forward to running with my wrap again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!