Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 52 - who brings donuts to the office, anyway?

It's been a good morning. I was up and moving early, and got a good start on my day. I have a running joke at the office regarding my coffee: it's a good day when I get my morning coffee during the morning.

By that measure, today has been, thus far, a good day. I grabbed my first cup at around 10 AM. As I entered the break room, there it was, sitting there and just begging me to open it: a box of donuts. There are few dirty food pleasures in life that compare, in my opinion, to a white-frosted long-john with sprinkles. Okay, the custard bismark comes close.

Just who brings donuts into the office these days, anyway?

Most of the people I know here, while not uber-health nuts, seem pretty careful with what they eat. Yet, I can't fault them. If they don't have problems with their blood sugar, they will they probably don't see a problem with a sugary confection from time to time. Hey, when my sugar is under control, I can even enjoy a little sugary goodness once in a while. It just seems that, this time of year, the break room fills up with more and more sugary death-snacks as the weeks progress.

It was different at the end of August. Some days, you'd see a loaf of zucchini nut bread, on others, excess fresh produce from someone's garden. Then, of course, as the tomatoes and peppers began ripening en masse, we enjoyed many varieties of fresh salsas. You quickly learned which were the sugary sweet types and which were the bright, fresh varieties. I particularly loved to find bowls made by one of the guys here, spiced with Scoth Bonnets and other hot peppers. Mmmm... my mouth is watering at the thought.

Yet as we moved into autumn, the fresh veggies started to disapper. Soon we saw the arrival of muffins, cakes, and cookies. This week has been a quad-fecta of sugar: banana nut bread, two days of a variety of fudges, and today's box of donuts. I had a half-slice of bana bread on Monday, when my sugar dropped a little low. I had three pieces of fudge on Tuesday. I stayed clear of the breakroom yesterday, since the dreaded fudge was still present, and so far I've stayed clear of Pandora's Calorie Box. Yet I do so enjoy a good donut...but is there really such a thing as a 'good' donut?

It's not just fellow employees. Beginning this time of year and escalating through the Christmas season, we'll see a constant flow of food gifts from customers and vendors alike. Last week brought bags of fresh cheese curds (how squeaky!). Soon will come the chocolates, cakes, other confections. All these things coinciding with many employees' own holiday baking, and, of course, they feel compelled to share. Last year, even our vending machine company got into the spirit, leaving a whole case (each) of a new variety of chips and a new variety of candy bar. It's the season of giving, right? Yikes! What are we giving?

So, I believe these next few months will be challenging on the diet and nutrition front. I'm meeting a friend for lunch today, and I asked that we go to a place where I can get a salad. That, at least, will keep me from logging a burger and fries from the bar & grill down the street. I'm going to do my best to void the donuts, and will simply try to remember that all of the treats I pass by will help me find a treat when I have my Friday weigh-in.

Oh, if you are one of those who likes to bring donuts to the office (or even bagels--those giant monsters with flavored cream cheeses can be just as bad), please reconsider. How about a bag of apples or a bunch of bananas every once in a while? Would that be too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!