Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 51 (week 8) - ho hum

After having had clear skies on Monday morning, with Orion clearly visible in the pre-dawn sky, we're back to overcast skies and are expected to see rain this evening through tomorrow morning. Sometimes I don't mind the grey days, but today just has me tired and wanting a rest. I was alert and full of energy this morning, but have been tired and a bit down since lunch. The meal itself was just fine--1/2 cup of brown rice, a matching amount of a homemade chicken stir-fry dish, and a tablespoon of honey. Oh, I'd forgotten just how sweet honey is!

This afternoon has brought on fatigue and a bit of a headache. Not things with which I'm unfamiliar, but rather things I've grown accustomed to feeling less and less over these past seven-plus weeks. Before, a day like today was common. Now, I can't believe I was able to function like this on a regular basis. There are stress factors in my life, of course, and I know they come into play with such down moods and physical symptoms.

My knee has felt great since Monday's run, other than an occasional twinge if I move it a certain way. I don't know if my brace has arrived yet, so I'll just plan on wrapping tomorrow as I had on Monday.

It's funny that Mrs. F was thinking about what might be next for us after we finish the Couch-to-5k program. While I don't yet like running as much as does she, I do plan to stick with it. I also plan on increasing our run times, probably in five minute incriments. Beyond that, I'm thinking about the 100 Push-ups Challenge to help address my upper body.

As to this blog, I'm committed to keeping it going. I've kept another blog before that had a different focus, so I'm not sure if this one will stay focused solely on our fitness efforts or whether it will start to incorporate more of our family life. As some of my earlier posts demonstrate, it's often very hard to keep the two separate. As to the name, I'm pretty sure we'll keep the address as http://oursecretplan.blogpot.com, if only to serve as a reminder of how all of this began. Our goals and activities may change, but I've found that creating this blog has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever undertaken. And while Mrs. F was quick to point out that I forgot to post this past Sunday (as I may have done one other time during the program), I'm happy that I've been able to post updates here on a regular basis. For me, doing anything every day is a significant achievement!

So, or now, I'm committed to finishing this program, so that means that we'll be out running again tomorrow morning for another 28 minute run. I'm hoping it will be a good one.

2 comments:

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!