Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 40 (Week 6, Day 5) - Mrs. F

As this morning rolled around, and I had about 4 hrs of sleep when the alarm went off, we made the executive decision to postpone the run til the afternoon. I was a bit nervous that with company coming and things to do, we would put it off and not run. But we did it!!

It certainely was different running in the afternoon in full sunlight versus the early morning darkness. The nice part about going at this time was the temp was fabulous! It was in the low 50s and great running weather. I found myself more self conscious than I am in the dark morning light. Everyone was polite and said good day or hi, so it was mostly just me. It just was different. I think I like the dark lol!

I was very unsure how this run would come out. I was coming off too little sleep, and a busy busy day cleaning the house for company. So my muscles were already warmed up but I worried that I would be sore as I did lots of scrubbing and mopping and washing windows. That didnt seem to be a problem. Although keeping my mental battle in the positive realm was harder. I was tired, the sun was bright and my body wanted to just give up at times.

The first 5-7 minutes was tough, finding the rhythm and getting going. The middle part of the run was fabulous -- I found my stride and I was going! I reached the end of our trail segment, turned around and ran back until I ran into Mr. F again. At that point, I turned around again and was running with Mr. F to the end of the trail again. Since I run faster than he does right now, this is one of the ways we can stick closer together.\

The last part of the run was hard! Really really hard! I found myself slowing down and just wanting to give up. I really had to give myself some good pep talks to keep going. I had no watch, so I had no real way to gage how much of the run I had left. I got to the beginning point of our trail and turned around again to run back to MR. F. That was a bit discouraging. Usually at that point, I am ready to walk to the car. So I really had to encourage myself to not give up yet, it wasnt time! I;m pretty sure I ran 2 full miles in the 25 minutes today!

So I continued on the trail, until I encountered Mr. F and then began running his direction once again. I believe at this point, we had 3 and a half minutes left. I made it almost back to the point, that my orginal 5 minute warm up walk took me.

Making more strides in the distance today felt really good but the run itself was far more challenging than I was prepared for. My legs and muscles are sore but nothing really to write about. And it was a good way to work off some of the stress I was feeling earlier today. It really helped improve my mood!

It was cold yesterday for my sons cc match. So he didnt beat his time but came in with a very respectable 19:02. So I changed my challenge to him, that if he beats his personal best (18:55), I will run two minutes with him. If he breaks 18:30, Ill run five. He really thinks I cant even do one. It amuses me greatly to know that not only can I do one but I can run 25 minute straight!

Keep on running
Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!