Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 36 (week 6, day 1) - Mrs. F

I thought today would be easy after managing the 20 minute run. Boy was I wrong! Today was absolutely miserable. I only managed to keep going out of sheer determination. It was cold (40 degrees) and I just couldnt find my stride. It wasnt until the 3rd set that I found a minute of my stride and then it went back to the slow pitiful run I did today.

I remember waking up this morning and thinking bout pushing todays workout off til Tuesday. It was the thought of having to run on Saturday morning that got me out of bed! I much prefer the MWF option.

I hope that my body learns to adjust to running in the cold. I dont have a lot of other feasible options rather than running with the weather. My chest hurt again today, although not as burning as the first few weeks. My muscles were sore this morning after the workout. I almost felt like I was back at week 3 again!! It certainely wasnt the high I felt after Friday's workout.

My body acted like it just wanted to stop and walk. It was hard!! I wonder about Wednesday, whether the longer 10 minutes stretch will help keep us moving better. And I'm once again frightened of the 25 minute Friday run. Good thing Im very stubborn!

keep on running,
Mrs. F

3 comments:

  1. My friend and I discovered that part of our runs are mental. I found the 20 min. run harder this past Saturday than the interval running yesterday. Our minds were getting ready and gearing up for what we thought was hard or easy.

    I know the fatigue you are talking about. Have you thought about doing a a certain day's run over again? We did that in the beginning weeks until we thought we were ready to move on to the next week.

    By the way, I'm looking for advice on what to wear as I run as the winter comes. I saw some clothing at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday but I don't want to pay all that $$.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mare
    Im wearing on the really cold days, something called warmwear. Which is kinda like spandex(I got it at walmart if you have one near you for 7 bucks), then over that my pair of yoga capri length pants. That was enough to keep my legs warm enough until I was running. For the upper layer, I wear a moisture wicking long shirt, a 3/4 quarter sleeve length cotton shirt and a cotton tshirt. Add a fleece hat and some cotton jersey gloves and IM good to go. I was mostly okay once I was running. It was pretty chilly before that!

    Didnt have lots to spend, so I tried to mostly use what I had with a few very selective purchases. Hope that helps. What temps are you running in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The early morning temperatures here in Pennsylvania have been around 50-60. Sometimes colder but this morning (10/7) was mild, humid, and about to rain. Thankfully we still got the run in, and I was actually looking forward to it. My first 10 min. seemed a little rough but for the second I shed my sweatshirt which made a big difference. Thanks for the running gear advice; I will check into Walmart. I'm enjoying reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!