Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 37 (week 6, day 2) - a down day

I don't know if it's the gloomy weather (it's been rainy and cloudly most of the time since last week), shorter days, family stresses, or the fact that my left leg still doesn't feel right, but it is just a down day for me. I have little energy, and tremendous cravings for junk food (I'd trade almost anything for a plate of brownies right now). Why is it that junk food cravings are so much stronger when you are having a down day? I know that the food can make me feel good for a while, but I'm going to try to avoid that path this evening.

Even though I can already tell that my body won't want to run tomorrow, I'll be going out anyway. I'm not giving myself a choice. Oh, but I still want something sweet to nash on...

Ugh! I hate feeling like this. I can't fall back into old habits now, or it's all over for me.

I really want some peace and quiet, but with a house full of kids at home, I know that's not a realistic expectation. My wife and I had talked about sneaking out for a bargain movie one night this week. Perhaps tonight is the night. If we do go, I promise to be good at the snack counter.

5 comments:

  1. Just finished day one of week 6. It was hard. I don't know if it was that I didn't pace myself as well, if it was the switch back to running and walking or if it was just the wind and hills getting to me. I did it though!

    You're going to do well tomorrow.

    I just mapped out the goal distance for day 2. I'm going to follow that route and see how far from the end I am when time runs out!

    Did you notice that the suggested distance for day 2 and 3 is the same even though there is more walking in day 2? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to make your program more difficult than it needs to be, but have you considered tracking your calories? The dailyplate is a free site and it might help you know when you have enough margin to indulge now and then :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I did not pay attention to the distances. At this stage of the game, Mrs. F and I are working the program based on time only. Once we make it through, we've talked about doing it again for distance, or just increasing our run times. We're not quite sure yet. We need to make it through the balance of these four weeks first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really only worked on times too. I'm just curious how far I am from the listed distance when the running time is over.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crave sweets because sweets stimulate those neurotransmitters in the brain that make you feel good. So when you're feeling bad or stressed, you crave them. One thing I try is to keep some instant jello pudding (sugar free fat free variety) on hand. You can whip it up in 5 minutes and it satisfies my sweet tooth. Or another idea is to slice up some apples, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar or cinnamon/splenda/truvia and bake in the oven till soft. Healthy and very yummy. Makes the house smell great too!

    Hang in there - you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!