Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 4, Day 1 - Mrs. F

Today wasnt as "hard" as I expected. Don't get me wrong, it certainely was not easy by any means and I had to work at completing it. The first few weeks were "hard", the kind of hard that I expected I might just die. My chest burned and it was difficult to imagine doing this for 8 more weeks!!! Todays workout was more challenging. I'm not sure if its my endurance thats gotten better or I'm winning more of the mental battle. It does feel good to say we have made it to week 4!!!

Looking ahead week 4 didnt feel as scary as week 3 did to me. But I will admit week 5 still scares the pants off me!!!

Bodywise was harder for me. The area below my knee, I believe, its tendons, really gave me trouble today. By the end of the workout, I was whimpering a bit, cause it hurt. Its not the knee itself, so Im still wondering if its just muscle strain. Im going to try more stretching and see if that makes any more difference. And the sideaches -- by the 3rd set -- my side was aching. I told myself though that if my son can run thru a sideache, so can I. Im a bit stubborn,which I think helps in working my way through this program. Im determined that Im going to do this!!

Im very encouraged getting this far. It gives me hope that I can complete this and that I can become a runner. After all, I doubled the minutes I ran from last week. Thats really a big deal if you think about it!

Keep on running,
Mrs. F

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean, Mrs. F, "I can become a runner"? You're running, aren't you? That makes you a runner. You and I just can't run as much as those other, established runners. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!