Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 24 (week 4, day 3) - Mrs. F

I had been icing my leg/knee area and I took ibuprofen right before I went to bed last night. So this morning, my leg actually felt pretty good, a little twinge here or there. So I was encouraged that I might be able to complete todays training. My left leg was good, so no worries there.

I deliberatly took it slow and really made sure to stretch well this morning. The first two running sets were great! They both felt good and I was very pleased that my leg while a little sore seemed to be holding out. The last two runing sets were hard. My leg started hurting more(not enough that I felt the need to stop though) and I just felt like I had no energy.

I tried to get to bed early but even though I hit the sack at 945 pm, I couldnt fall asleep til well after 10 pm. So Im sure that affected the running too. The last set by far was the hardest. Mr. F voiced being ready to quit and I encouraged him to push on. I figured by that point, we only had at least 4 minutes left. I distinctly remember thinking at one point that we had to be at least halfway through the five minute set. Mr. F said that the podcast doesnt tell you that. I interpreted that to mean that it hadnt yet voiced the halfway point. Boy was I surprised when shortly thereafter he announced the 1 minute left warning! Mr. F during that last minute push seemed to have more energy left than I did. But I did my best to give some additional effort and push thru the last minute.

I was relieved to find my knee/leg area, while in some pain, not nearly as much as Monday's workout put on it. So I plan to continue my corn icing, ibuprofen and definite rest on days off. I do miss my bike rides though! Since the left leg has gotten a lot better, Im hoping its just simple muscle strain on the right. So I will continue what worked thus. far.

Im still amazed that I have been able to continue for 4 weeks~! I could barely run a lap in gym class and I just did a combined total of 16 minutes!!!

Keep on running
Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!