Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Oh, the food...

Okay. It was not my best food day. Someone left a bag of sugar cookies in the breakroom again. I thought I'd have just one... Well, you know how that often goes.

I did manage to keep from cleaning my plate at lunch, and I deliberately took a smaller portion at supper. What should be done when you blow your diet? Should you try to compensate by eating less (or nothing at all)? I figured that skipping a meal would simply leave me more hungry later and would leave me with less energy in the morning, so I opted for a smaller supper.

I guess I still have a lot to learn on the nutrition front. I mean, I know what I should be doing, but I guess the hardest part is putting it into practice (and being realistic about it, too).

Not to get too tangental here, but finances affect nutrition. Things are a bit tight right now (especially with the extra expenses we incurred getting our running shoes, spikes for our veteran cross country runner, and shoes and gear for our newest cross country runner), so that means we have a lot more pasta on the menu. I'm just annoyed that the whole-grain pastas costs so much more--you'd think that less processing of the flour would translate to less overall cost, but it just isn't the case. It's hard to fight the economies of scale that the processed flours and sugars can leverage when food makers are considering ingredients.

Okay, enough of my tangent. My legs feel pretty good, and I'm going to be in bed by 9 PM tonight. I really hope tomorrow's session goes well.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, you don't blow a diet unless you give up. What do you when you stumble while running? You might swear, hop around a bit, but then you CONTINUE. :) Pick up where you left off and start again. You can't change the past, so focus on getting the future right. It's bad to skip meals, though if you've eaten a lot (or a lot of bad things) today, then have maybe a salad and a brothy soup for dinner (something light).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sherry. I was thinking along your lines (lighter, healthier supper), but just wasn't sure. Thanks for the feedback. When we get through Friday, we'll have 1/3 of the program completed--YIPPIE!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!