Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 19 (week 3, day 5 - Week 1 training complete)

We just got back from the final day of training for this week. The running was harder than Wednesday, but we did finish the week! It does match last week, where it was much harder at the end of the week, though I'm glad to say I wasn't anywhere near beat-down-dead at the end of today's session. I'll hold out hope that Monday feels a bit better after two resting days, just the way it felt better this week.

The firs two sets (90s/90s run/walk, 3m/3m run/walk) were okay. They didn't leave me feeling pretty good, like on Monday, but they left me confident I would finish today's paces just fine. I needed every second of the final walk set of the first half, but it wasn't as if I was fighting for breath--I could just tell my body needed that respite.

The first 90 second segment of the second half wasn't too hard. I tried thinking about my arms again, but deliberately letting them hang low felt really awkward. I think I ended up with them somewhere between my armpits and my thighs, and that's just fine by me.

I'm looking forward to my weight check today.

I've scheduled a follow-up visit with my doctor for two weeks from today. That will be just past the half-way point. Although I normally get lab work done every three months, she'll probably pull lab work then, and she'll have a formal record of my weight for my file. I'm hoping that the changes will be visible to her (beyond the weight and the lab work)--if she can tell, walking into the room, that I've made progress then it'll make the whole thing feel worthwhile. I know it's worthwhile regardless, but those external affirmations really help--that's a big reason why I so enjoy seeing comments and followers here!

Anyway, I owe my son two minutes of running tomorrow. I asked him a moment ago if he wanted to do it now. He said he can't run well in his jeans. I told him that even in a straight jacket he could run faster than me. He still opted to wait for tomorrow.

Happy day! We're one-third of the way through the Couch to 5k program! Yippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!