Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

We made it (four days before the Turkey Trot)

Well, we managed to get a bit of hustle on while we were getting ready, and we got some help from the older kids so we could get out of the door (they were charged with having everyone ready when we returned).  We set out with plans for an easy run, two miles at best, and neither of us took a watch or mp3 player.  Because we both felt short on time, we decided to skip our warm-up walk and instead opted to start our run slow and easy.  We parked by the dam today, and took off to the east since we had daylight yet remaining and since we knew that stretch was only 2/3 of a mile each way (out and back). We'd get in 1-1/3 miles today, and then would head home to get ready for the cross country banquet.

My knee was wrapped as usual, and I've started wrapping my right shin (in lieu of having a compression sleeve for the leg, something someone elese recommended).  My knee gave me a bit of grief through the whole run--more of an ache than a pain--and my shin held out to the final few hundren meters. Those final meters, however, were not where we parked the car.

It took some time for me to settle in and find my pace.  When I did, Mrs. F was pulling ahead of me again, but that was okay.  We made it to the end--she played turnabout, as usual--and then we started back.  As we neared our point of origination, I asked how she was doing.  She indicated that she was doing well.  We talked about going on, and she was willing, but I indicated that I didn't think I'd be able to get to the far end and back again--that would have been more than a 5k.  She agreed to hop in the car while I continued on.  She was planning an easy day, anyway, so it worked out okay.  I moved on, across the road and onto the one mile segment of trail.  I felt a bit of a thrill, because I was willingly running all alone.  I knew she was neither behind me nor ahead of me.  It was just me, all 280 lbs. of me, and the trail.

To me, there could be no better running weather.  It was temperate, but on the cool side, but once I was running the air felt wonderful.  There was a mild breeze, and the waning sun was tinting the western sky orange.  By the time we made it to the road, I had found my stride.  I did not want to stop, because I needed to make sure I could still handle more than two miles in a session, especially with the race coming up on the weekend.

On and on I ran.  I paid close attention to my legs (my left knee and right shin), and made sure I was landing well. It seemed that the uphill segments made my shin a little tender.  My guess is that it's because my foot angles higher on the incline, allowing those shin muscles to tighten even more.  Still, it was not bad.  I felt good when I got within a quarter mile of the end.  Today, perhaps, I could have kept going.  Mrs. F was waiting for me, however, parked along the curb alongside the park.  I ran through the end of the trail and right up to the car.  Yes, I'll be able to run a 5k this Saturday.  Had I pushed on, I might have been able to do it tonight.

We made it back home in time to change and get to the event.  There were many fun pictures and accolades for the various runners.  Our younger boy, the one who joined after the season was underway, was lauded for doing well especially when he ran one meet in his casual shoes (he left one of his running shoes at home).  Our eldest son was lauded for breaking the school's freshman time record for 5k, with an 18:46 at his last meet.  He actually beat the old record, 18:57, twice this year.  So, he broke the record early in the season, and then broke his own record at the end of the season.  He's exicted about running again for track in the spring, and for cross country again in the fall.  Our other son is not entirely sure.  He's had a rough time academically this fall, so he told the couch that he might not do it next year.  The coach told him that he should work on getting his academic house in order now, so that he'd be ready for the fall.  Man, I could have kissed that guy for telling him that!

Anyway, I need to hit the books, hit the ice, and hit the sack.  Have a good night, and keep running!


  1. Can you believe the distance you covered? Awesome!

  2. Two and a third miles today. Not bad for how my runs went (or the lack thereof) last week and early this week!

  3. It is great when it begins to fall into place - so excited for you both!

  4. You're baaaaack! Good for you!!


Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!