Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 31 (week 5, Day 3) - Mrs. F

It was cold this morning. Just for the record, it was really cold this morning! My current workout attire is a pair of capri length yoga pants and then a wicking long sleeve shirt, a 3/4 quarter sleeve cotton shirt and then a cotton tshirt over that. I add in a fleece hat and cotton jersey gloves.

It was pretty chilly during the warm up walk but I knew that the running would soon warm me. It was sorta weird to want to run just to get warm , lol! My upper body and head were plenty warm enough but even with the running, my legs were cold. I will need to investigate long running pants soon!!

I took the first set slow, knowing full well that I had plenty of running ahead of me. So I kept pace with Mr. F most of that set. It felt long, even though I realize 8 minutes really isnt that long. Mr F is the one who carries his MP3 player and the podcast, so I have no good way to tell how far I am, other than his periodic announcements that he calls out. I wondered could I keep going at the end of this 8 minute set-- my thoughts drifting towards Fridays challenge of 20 minute running. I dont know but today felt good.

My leg/knee area felt fantastic this morning, so I was really looking forward to seeing how the run would go. I had a little tightness in the right calf muscle but that went away after I began running. My leg/knee area did hurt some after we were done but not enough that I was worried bout injuring it further. It seems to be getting better very slowly. Since it didnt hurt at all to start with, I'm not concerned much with it right now.

The 2nd set felt really really good. I found myself with the urge to go faster, so I did. I did feel bad for leaving Mr. F behind though. It just felt good to run! Then I thought I heard him call time, when in reality he was just calling the last minute mark. So I stopped and then figured out he was still moving and my mind figured out ohh we're not done yet. That was much harder, after stopping, to get moving quickly again. So I ran that last bit much slower than my previous pace of the set. And I heard a runner coming quickly -- I really thought it was the runner we encounter on the trail every morning because he was going so fast. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out it was my husband, Mr. F!!!!! He was booking it.

So all in all a very good workout day! Im still plenty nervous bout friday. Im hoping I can go further than I think I can. But Im also preparing myself mentally that if I need to walk, Im going to. As long as I start running again, after the walk, Ill be pleased. I am though determined to make it as far as I can!!! After Mr. F was having much trouble with his legs this morning, i mentioned perhaps repeating today on Friday instead. So far though, we are still leaning toward doing as written!

Keep on running
Mrs. F


  1. Your stopping when I called out the last minute is probably what let me catch up to you. :(

  2. Today's run was hard! Friday will be a challenge.

    I did 2.06 miles in 28 minutes today. I'll be interested to see how far I actually go with 20 minutes of straight running.


Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!