Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 31 (late)

Well, here it is at almost 11:30 PM. We needed to run in to a bigger town to get some shopping done tonight as we were out of just about everything (it was payday today). It took a long time today, because we were checking out a different grocery store and trying to stretch every penny. At least, now, we won't need to run out over the weekend.

My legs were a bit sore while walking about, but that's my only nagging complaint from today's run. I'll ask my doctor about the pain on Friday, when I go in for a checkup. Sugar levels have been good, even a bit low. We have a big, old-fashioned scale at my workplace, and I snuck on to it earlier, just to see how it read (since I know what I weighed last Friday). If it's needle pointed true, I'm looking at another good drop of weight this week. That's still two days from now, so I'll try not to count my chickens before they hatch.

I'll likely not check my weight midday this week, since I will be in for an appointment later in the afternoon. If I can survive the Friday workout, I'll be looking forward to my weight check.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, and I'll be checking back. I started a run/walk plan to lose weight and get healthy... then stopped... and now have started again. I've got a 5K in two weeks, another two weeks later, and then a 10K and half-marathon scheduled over the next four months, so I'm back on plan again.

    Anyway, thanks for the inspiration and your example of dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Dave. Thanks for stopping in. I'm glad our story has provided some inspiration. Mrs. F told me last night that at least three of our friends have started the Couch to 5k program after hearing about it from us, and we had learned about it from one of Mrs. F's friends who had just started it. Isn't it cool to see how people can have an impact in the lives of others? For me, it's been more than 13 lbs. of impact!

    Good luck to you! Come back and tell us how you fare in your 5k.

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!