Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 67 - my run -- Mrs, F

It was a beautiful day for a run. The sun was shining, the temps in the lower 60s and a very slight breeze. I was really excited to get out and run today.

Im not sure what was different today or what even brought the thought into my mind. I realized today as I was running -- that I am indeed a runner. Im not sure if it was where I was, or how I was runnig or what. The thought just was there and it was a good feeling to realize I can do this!I am a runner. Im one of those crazy running people that prior to C25k, I thought were crazy too!

I pushed hard on the first mile, partly because I knew that I was only going 2 miles today. It wasnt my fastest mile time but 11:30 isnt too shabby. I deliberately took it slow on the return stretch. I wanted to try and run with Mr.F for awhile and keep it slow. Its really hard though for me to run slower than my normal pace. Trust me, my normal pace really isnt that fast. Its just hard to force my body to go slower -- when I slow down -- my mind screams you might as well walk then. So that was challenging.

By deliberatly slowing my pace on the 2nd mile, I had plenty of reserves for our final sprint. I could feel my stride lengthening, my legs speeding up and I went faster and faster. On all the other runs, where Mr. F and I were sprinting at the end, I had pushed hard all the way through. And I just didnt have anything left at the end. So this was a nice victory!

My legs and knees were a bit sore on the return jaunt. And I could feel the strain on the area above my ankle but on the side of my leg. All in all, not anything that overly concerns me. Just reminders that I need to be kind to my body and take it slow somedays!

Keep on running,
Mrs. F

Ps - One week until our big race and our reveal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!