Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 13

No training today, though Mrs. F and I will be looking at those stretches tonight after the kids go to bed. We had a birthday boy in the house today, so it was hard to stick to eating right. I had eggs, ham, and one piece of wheat toast for breakfast, a salad with chicken pieces for lunch, and dinner was an Asian chicken dish (homemade) with broccoli, peppers, and onions over brown rice. Of course, there was the obligatory slice of cake, but I had only one.

My right leg is sore along my shin, on the inner side. It's not exactly what I remember as shin splints, but my suspicion is that this could be the beginning of that problem. Let's hope I'm just being a hypochondriac.

Late last night I found a blister on the top of the fourth toe on my left foot. It's not from my training--I know the source. It's from a set of shoes I wore on Tuesday, my waterproof hikers. I wore them without the boot socks I normally wear, and my feet got too hot and moist. I remember them feeling really itchy on Thursday evening while shopping. I've had problems with athletes foot before, and I thought the itchiness was the start of another outbreak. I remember drilling my other foot into the top of my left boot while in the store, to help with the itch. My guess is that the friction was enough to start the blister. I didn't notice it during our session on Friday morning, and only figured it out while itching my stockinged foot late last night. Unfortunately, that bit of itching broke open the blister (thereby facilitating my discovery). I bandaged it last night and part of today, but I've been trying to let it air out as much as possible, too.

We got more sleep last night. Well, at least I did. I sleep pretty soundly, so I didn't hear the lad who woke up when he got trapped between his mattress and the wall, nor did I wake when our infant girl woke on two occasions. I did wake at 3 AM, however, as our son's sleepover guests were outside and making a bit of a ruckus. I'm blessed with the ability to fall asleep quickly, however, so that was a brief interruption. My plan it to be in bed around 10 PM tonight, since we don't need to be up until 8 AM.

We took our newest cross country runner to the store today to pick up his running shoes. He's the pickiest child we have when it comes to clothes and shoes, so we expected a bit of an ordeal, but the second pair we looked at fit him well and were comfortable for him. Much easier than expected! Since the coach ran him three miles yesterday, his second day running, his legs were sore today. Isn't it amazing how the young can just jump in and run three miles without nine weeks of conditioning?! As such, he did balk when we wanted to stay in the store a little longer to get him an extra pair of running shorts, a running shirt, and a set of warmups.

We're settling down to watch a movie at home this evening. I'm looking forward to another day of rest and the formal end of our second week of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!