Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, October 30, 2009

Day 61 - A brief note

Okay. Just a quick note as I check in here. We will be running later today, but we also need to get to the next major town and do our household shopping this evening, so we might not be able to post until late in the day (we'll try to get something up right after we run).



I was also thinking about the name of the blog today, and the page title. We're going to maintain our address (http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com/), but I think the title will need modification. After all, we'll be done with the Couch-to-5k program today. It will still reference my screen name, FatManRunning, but I need something more... A Fitness Odyssey? I guess I'm open to suggestions at this point.

I guess that means I'll also need to re-work my logo, even though it took me weeks to figure out how to get it to display as it appears today. lol! Such is life, I guess.

I'll catch up with you all later.

3 comments:

  1. I love your logo!!! I wish I could do something like that, but I do not know how :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. While not easy (it took time and a lot of clicks of the "Undo" button), the process was simple

    I started by finding a black-and-white clipart image that showed a runner. I opened it in Microsoft Paint (yes, that silly utility that comes with Windows) and then saved it as a bitmap. I used that image as a framework, since I knew I started much fatter than any clipart. I zoomed in a bit and added lines and filled areas until it started to look like me. Everything got bigger, other than the height--the legs, hands, head, neck. Once I had an image I could use (literally and legally--something modified so much that it didn't resemble the original other than the basic pose), I added my facial hair and pony tail, and then copied the image and pasted it in again multiple times, each time a little further from the former one.

    Then I went through and started trimming bits and pieces from all but the original image, so my runner was getting more trim at each step. I also tried to add some definition to some body parts, to show it more fit as well (though those don't show well). I added a text box and saved it as a GIF image (limited colors, optimal for Web), and viola!

    You could probably do the same thing by starting with a photograph. They key is to use a tool like Paint that deals with the color of each pixel. Cut away the background, then start using black lines trace the outline. I'm sure there must be tools out there to do this--I know I've seen websites that will let you convert a photo into a coloring book page--but I just don't remember where they were and didn't think of using them at the time. Playing with the image was a bit therapeutic for me, so I didn't mind.

    I know Mrs. F once belonged to a group that played around with making different signature images for people. She could always send off a description to one of her friends, and they would send her back an image that represented what she had described. That may be an option, too.

    My first logo was really primitive. I'll see if I can post it for those who didn't get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone who LOVES web programming. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!