Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 56 - getting ready for Week 9 and beyond

Well, it's late. I wanted to be in bed an hour ago, but there was something about an 1,800 word essay that had to be in before midnight... Let's just say I'm glad that one is done.

So, that killed any chance of getting to bed by 9 PM, but at least it's not 11 PM.

Tomorrow starts Week 9! We're in the home stretch. Mrs. F and I have talked about breaking the news to the family at the end of this coming week, but also about keeping the secret until the Turkey Trot. Our eldest son found out that a couple of our friends will be running it (Amy and Nathan who follow this blog), so now he wants to run it, too. We're just not sure how to work out the logistics. If he races, there's almost no way we could hide it from him. Sure, we'd be in back and he'd be in front, but we all would need to check in on race day. Logistics...

Anyway, tomorrow is the first day of the last week of our Couch-to-5k adventure. We'll by no means be done with running or our journey towards weight loss and fitness, but Couch-to-5k will be history... more than that... an accomplishment... a milestone... A monument!

We do plan on celebrating our completion, though we're not sure how. An ice cream cake from DQ just doesn't seem apropos!

Anyway, this week is the big one, well, the first of may big ones. The workout plan for this week? Run for 30 minutes without walking. Pretty simple,huh? Sure, now I can say it is, but earlier in the program I could have had a cerebral hemorrhage just thinking about it. We've come a long way from "Repeat 8 times: run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds." Going forward, we're going to keep adding time, at least until we get through our 5k run.

Well, I need to turn in. Mrs. F is setting the better example. She didn't make our 9 PM bedtime either (in part, I think, because she was staying up for my benefit), but she did head to bed about 20 minutes ago now, so I had best follow suit.

Anyway, good night, all! Tomorrow brings the beginning of our final week of Couch-to-5k training!

3 comments:

  1. "Eldest son" just randomly dropped by this afternoon after his run! He mentioned seeing me run.
    He is hopeful that someday you will run!

    I thought that part of the ruse was to convince him to be there to support me for my run. Sorry if I messed up anything. Your secret is still safe. In fact, after your son left, Nathan said, "They are actually going to pull this off!" He was impressed by your son's cluelessness to the plan.

    Nathan isn't planning to run the race. He will be finishing week 7 then I think. His goal is just to finish the program and keep running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee... I'm seriously enjoying this. I think he wants to register for the race. I should let him, and then place a friendly wage about me running the race. Hmmm... I could have manual labor lined up for 20 years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you think, Mr. F.!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!