Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Friday, November 20, 2009

Note to self: read things through (and, a little extra weight)

Well, I was up early enough today to fit in my pushups before getting ready for work.  I had been under the impression that the One Hundred Pushups challege would be similar to the Couch-to-5k program, so I expected that I'd need to complete the same number of reps today as I did on Wednesday. I was wrong! I need to remember to read things through before I get into them!

Today's workout was as follows (with a minute of rest between each set): 6, 8, 6, 6, min 7.

I completed the workout, but was only able to finish the minimum required in the final set.  Of course, it did not help that our youngest girl was up and she decided to try to sit on my head and shoulders during that final set! That was a little extra weight I wasn't intended to lift.  The ironic thing, however, is that her current weight just about matches what I've already lost (she's about 20 lbs., and I've lost 21 lbs.). I don't think I would have been able to start on level two before I started Couch-to-5k and lost the weight.

I could definately feel it in my arms and pectorals last night, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  In reality, my first workout was only about a day and six hours earlier, rather than a dull two days prior, because my first workout was just before midnight on Wednesday.  I want to do these regularly in the morning.  I'll complete the third day for Week One on Sunday, and then will be on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday for next week.  On the following week, I'll switch to M-W-F, so I'll have T-R-Sa free for One Hour Runner with Mrs. F. I'm not quite sure what I'll do for running next week, when the days coincide.  I might just do the runs anyway, since we'll likely run in the afternoons.

I hope to pick up running on Saturday morning with Mrs. F.  The first three weeks of One Hour Runner are just 30 minute runs, so I know I can handle that.  Times don't increase until Week Four, so we know that some Couch-to-5k graduates jump in there.  We decided that we'll take the extra weeks to make sure we are giving our joints, connective tissues, and muscles time to adjust to running.  Though, as you've probably noticed, I've not run for a week, since our first 5k.  It's not that I've even been sore or injured.  I've just been way too busy with my schoolwork (I'm now behind).

I've told the other Troop leaders (I'm Scoutmaster in a brand new Scout Troop that includes three of our sons) that I need someone else to take over program planning. I just don't have the time or ability to do that right now. I already stepped down from leading worship at church, but that's due to my internal struggles more than time. Work is a killer lately.  Being the only IT guy, it falls on me to keep everything running, and we've had a number of hot issues lately.  Thankfully, it's not as crazy as it was a year ago, when I worked the equivalent of extra weeks of work each in November and December.

I want to put a shout out to everyone at Active.com, especially in the 200+ lb. runners threads in the Newbie Cafe.  I've not been able to post as much lately, but I am reading.  Thanks for all of the words of encouragement.  Yes, I know I need to get out and get running.  Yes, I know my plate seems over-full, but I cannot comprehend of anything I can cut (ditching the Scout Troop would cause it to fold, because we are at minimum levels already). I have too much invested in my education to give that up, especially when I have only three or four classes (beyond the current one) yet to finish for my M.A.  One of the downsides of taking a job close to home is that I now have less than half the vacation time I once had.  How I so wish I could just take a few days off, catch up on my homework, and get back into a "normal" groove again!

I'll make it through.  I always do.  I'm going to try to negotiate the afternoon off for having put in time over the weekend last week and late work this week.  That, at least, would help.

Blah, blah, blah...I could go on and on and on.  Maybe one day I'll be able to set aside time for writing--not just this blog, but the fiction I love to write.  Well, until then, I'll just keep doing what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!