Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

100 Pushups - Day 1

I did not get out for a run yesterday, but I did remember to get my pushups in today.  I started at Level 2 of the program, since I completed six (6) pushups during my pre-test.  That meant today's workout looked like this:

6 pushups
  (1 minute rest)

6 pushups
  (1 minute rest)

4 pushups
  (1 minute rest)

4 pushups
  (1 minute rest)

Max pushups: 6

That final "Max pushups" is the final set.  Each day, you go through the prescribed set and then push through one last set where you do as many as you can.  Each day's final set has a listed minimum, so you have to do at least that many in the final set.  For me, today, that minimum was five (5), but I managed six (6).
I'm trying to do regular pushups, but am a little awkward on my flat palms.  I had dual carpal tunnel realeases about a year ago, and my body is still cautious about putting pressure on my wrists and palms.  It turned out okay, but I think I had my hands a bit too far foarward.  Mrs. F was already retired for the night, so I didn't have anyone to watch my form.  I'll keep it in mind for Wednesday. If I need to change things a bit, I can likely complete mine on my fists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!