Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Monday, August 31, 2009

Introduction - Mrs. F

I'm Mrs. F, short for Mrs. FatManRunning. Its a little easier to type and much easier to figure out which of us is posting!

I am starting out this journey of running and weight loss at 182.8 lbs. My weight has bounced from low to high over these last 15 years and I am now in a position where Im ready to lose. I need to lose just over 30 lbs to be at a healthy weight for my 5'6 frame.

I began the summer with plans to become more active. I figured more trips to the park, maybe some hiking or biking around town. I thought maybe that would be enough to start taking off a pound a week. Alas this was not enough.

One of my children is a runner and loves to run whenever and wherever he can. He has asked several times over to run. My response was always a resounding NO! Despite my intense dislike of running, I found myself pondering, this summer, if I might be able to jog. I had no idea where to start or even how much or how little to run in the beginning. I mentioned my thoughts to a friend and she recommended I check out Couch to 5k.

I googled the program. I began to think "hey maybe I can do this". Couch to 5k is designed specifically for slackers like me who have never run before. The big benefit to this program is in its timeframe. Its set in doable chunks of time!

So I mentioned this to FatManRunning and indicated that I was thinking of trying this crazy thing called running. He surprised me by saying, "Maybe I'll join you too." And thus our secret plan was born.

One of the fun parts of this journey for me is keeping this a secret from our kids, especially our runner! The thought of being able to complete a 5k race and have them surprised at the finish line is a definite motivator for me!

The journey begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!