Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I stand to lose weight

By increasing my activity level while simultaneously reducing my caloric intake, I stand to lose weight.  Well, as of today, I have another way I stand to lose weight: I got rid of my desk chair!

Yes, as of this morning, I'm chair free.  I'll stand all day, thereby burning perhaps a few hundred extra calories a day.  While this change coincides with my Biggest Workplace Loser participation, it's something I've wanted to do for a long time.  I had no opportunity to try it where I last worked, but the desks here are wonderfully adjustable.






So, I'm giving it a whirl.  I certainly hope I'll be able to do it long term.

I've also increased the number of laps I do in the halls and on the stairs.  I'm up to six laps, four times per work day.  Over the past day or two, I've really felt it in my lower abdominal muscles. I'm also eating six times a day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and a final snack).  That seems to be working well for me.  The snacks are typically 170 calories or less (the amount of calories in a regular yogurt or some granola bars).  I'm less hungry throughout the day, and my blood sugar levels are much lower and level.

Have a great one today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!