Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What was I thinking?

Well, I slept in again this morning and missed my morning run.  I figured that was okay considering my 20 mile bike ride the evening before.  I was in such a hurry to get to work that I forgot to eat breakfast.

It was that kind of day.

During the day, I convinced myself that I would run this evening after work, but soon I got a call from Mrs. F--she was delaying her shopping run to this evening and wanted to know if I wanted to go along.  I love stretching the family dollar (and finding good clearance deals), so I knew I wanted to go.  Thus ended the idea of the evening run.

I did remember to eat lunch (1.25 cups of homemade chili with a quarter cup of jalapeño slices and a few tablespoons of shredded cheddar), but we had to catch dinner while out an about.  I opted for two Whopper Junior sandwiches (sans mayo--about 290 calories each), and Mrs. F and I shared a mixed Coke-Cherry ICEE.  Not the lowest calorie dinner I've had lately, but one of the tastiest! Given my other caloric intake for the day, I thought a 700 calorie supper wasn't so bad.

So, we didn't end up home until about 9 PM.  By the time everything was in and put away, it was later.  Still, I had that nagging feeling of wanting to run, so I asked Mrs. F if she would mind riding along as I ran.  We started out with our dog, a large golden retriever, but he soon broke off his leash so Mrs. F had to take him home while I ran on.  She eventually caught up to me, and we enjoyed some time together.  The bugs weren't too bad, though I had to swat them away from my ears numerous times.  Occasional raindrops fell, but not enough to cool me down.

We made the route an out-and-back route, starting out uphill before turning and heading downhill a ways.  I turned around at a road where we'd turn to complete a 2.8 route, and headed back home.  I've really noticed my stride change lately.  There are times now when I'm really comfortable in calling it a run (compared to the labored slog that still comprises many runs)--my stride is longer, and I can feel the air beneath my feet.  It's a good feeling.

So, back up the hill I went, before heading down the other way.  Then, up another minor rise before descending toward the house where it began a gradual climb again.  With all done, I headed in and took a shower--hot at first, and then turned down very cool.  I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to sleep now, but I'm glad I got the run in.  In some ways, I wonder "What was I thinking?" It's like I've become one of those crazy runners!

Two-and-a-half miles done in just over 36 minutes--a 14:30mm pace! Definitely my best pace for a two miler since my first 5k races last fall.  Perhaps I might improve my time when I next race two weeks from Saturday, on August 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!