Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday

I really wanted to try and run 4.5 miles today. I modified my favorite in town route and got it up to 4.5 miles. The weather was bout 28 degrees (20 degree windchill) with bright sun.

It felt good for the first mile or so. Then I noticed my left shin was starting to burn a bit. I slowed down my pace and that eased up some then. Anytime that I upped my pace again, it started hurting. I was also having some muscle pain along the side of my leg, which has plagued me periodically.

After this not getting much easier by the 2 mile mark, I elected to ditch my planned route and cut it short. I really was disapointed. I so badly, wanted to increase my mileage, even if it was only .3 more. I kept telling myself though, that its better to run short today in order to run long another day. And I know for sure, that I dont want to mess around with shin splints.

I love running. So I have my mind on my next goal and its already jumping ahead of where my body is. I need to dial it back and remember that I just started running 5 months ago and Im doing great considering! AFter all I ran 13 miles last week, thats no small feat.

I ended up running 3.07 miles in 41:40, which is a 13:35 pace. I was pleased that I at least got 3 miles in . That brings me my total so far for the month of January to 30 miles!!!!

I think I will see how I feel tommorrow. My original plan was to try and run 2 tommorrow. I think, Im scrapping that and just going to run 1 if I feel okay. If Im overly sore, then I will take it as a rest day and run again Friday.

I wonder if I need to get back to stretching. As winter approached, i slacked on the stretching routine. So that maybe part of it and the other part might just be that Im running longer and farther.

Looking forward to my weight check on Friday. Mr. F is out of town chaperoning one of our sons field trips, so weigh in will be not until late afternoon.

Keep on running folks
Mrs F

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the pain!! That is not fun! Great job on the three miles and paces though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need to stretch!! Always!

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!