Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday's Run

The weather was great, even though the roads were a bit messy. It was 30.4 degrees, it felt heavenly.

I set out with no specific route in mind and with the intent of doing a minumum of 3 miles or at least 45 minutes. I was a bit brave today and went up one of the longer hills in town. I didnt really like that much but it was good to get it out of the way.

I varied my route again today in hopes that I would find one that totaled 4 miles that worked for me. And I did! I was looking for a route that didnt make me feel like I was doubling back. So I went from my house, up an east/west street and over and back down another east/west street. I also added in, an additional couple of blocks on another north/south street. And then went back to my traditional ending points. Overall it worked well. I didnt feel like I was doubling back, since I was on a different road rather than the one I started on.

I went 4.23 miles in 52:30. Thats a 12:25 minute pace. I was definitely pleased with that time! Im trying to build up my distance, so I can start the half marathon training. The treadmill hasnt been assembled yet so all of my runs are still outside. Once we get the treadmill up and running, then I want to add in my 1-2 mile runs on the off days on the treadmill. In theory, it should be easier to sneak it in during the day, while the little kids are watching a movie. Otherwise I have been going out after my big kids get home from school. I like running in the daylight and the warmth of the day but thats a tough time to be gone from the house. Its called the crazy hours, between 3-5 when the kids are a bit riled up! So Ive limited it to going out 2-3 times a week but I have been slowly increasing my distance.

I had a good tracking and eating day today. In fact, I probably need to eat some more since I burned a good bit with my run. My net is really low lol, I like having that problem. Im looking forward to the weigh in tommorrow. Im hoping for at least a pound.

Mr. F and our eldest son are off this weekend to a wrestling tournament. Im hoping maybe I can go over to a friends house and try out her new wii fit. It will be nice to try it, so I can see if I like it before I buy it. Thats on the longer term purchase list anyway lol.

Keep on running folks
Mrs. F

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You really are increasing your distance! Way to go! I have just started my half marathon training this week. So far, the furthest I've gone is 5 miles, but I'll be building pretty quickly from now on. I hope I can handle it!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!