Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weekend recap - Mrs. F

I ran 7 miles yesterday with my friend, Amy. She started couch to 5k at the same time we did, and has kept up running. She actually runs faster than me but runs close enough to my pace, that we can do our slower longer runs together.

We started off with the warm up walk before running. It was a nice change of pace to have someone to talk with along the way. Yes, we ran at a pace that we could talk. I will admit at times, it was more challenging than others though. The first 3.5 miles for me were harder, as is typical. Amy was a few steps ahead of me and it wasnt as hard for her, breathing wise as it was for me.

I found my stride around 3.5 miles and soon enough I was the one running a few steps ahead. I find that the further I go, the easier it seems to find that stride point. Perhaps I am meant to be a distance runner!

My strategy on these longer runs, is to go with the flow of my body, while keeping my heartrate in check. Basically, if I feel like running slower( as long as im not going over my prescribed training pace), then I do. If I feel like pushing it up a few notches, then I do that as well. My heart rate stayed pretty low, in the 150 range, so it works for me. My pace for this run was supposed to be 12:31, for my friend, 12:00. We ended up hitting an 11:44 pace, so below both of our targets!

Im really looking forward to next saturdays run when I get to try running 8 miles. Its exciting since it will be a new distance record for me. On top of that fun, I get to run in a new location, as we will be out of town visiting Mr. F's family.

Today, I took a 15.11 mile bike ride at 4:31 pace. Thats not only a new distance record for me but a pace record as well. It felt good to get out and fly on the bike. Ive now built up enough endurance on the bike, that Im starting to burn a good bit of calories. Last summer, I was much slower and didnt go nearly so far. I was shocked though when I took a look at my biking stats. I biked 41 miles this week alone and 75 miles for the month of july! Wow -- I had no idea that put on that many this week! The long bike rides add up quickly. Thanks go out to Mr. F though for sharing his bike with me! Im hoping to start saving up for a new bike for me soon.

Well thats all for now folks, Keep on running and biking!

Mrs. F

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!