Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sure it wasn't Monday?

Today was one of those days that just felt like a Monday.  I had a bit of a headache in the morning, and didn't feel well most of the day.  The alarm went off at six o'clock this morning, but I didn't get up to run.  I was up late last night, so I figured I could run in the evening, after work. When I did get home, I got busy around the house, and it was still bright and fairly hot--conditions I don't really like.  Soon, dinner was on the table, and I hate the concept of running on a full tummy. I was ready to give it up for the day, but Mrs. F told me she was going for a bike ride.  I told her I'd go for a run at the same time, if she'd wait a bit while the food settled. We waited around about an hour, and then we headed out.

I took a 2.8 mile route, one to which Mrs. F introduced me a week or so ago, with what she calls "a wicked hill." It wasn't a great run this evening--all effort, all the time.  The air was so thick and humid as I began.  About two blocks in, I noticed a small stone in my shoe.  It wasn't sharp, so I continued on to the top of the first hill where I stopped and took it out.  I continued on, the evening sun beating down on me, and I was simply hot, sore, and uncomfortable.  I was so glad I was wearing my sunglasses.

When I took a turn southward, I caught a face full of wind, and that felt wonderful.  The run, itself, was still tedium, but at least I felt cooler now.  I didn't spend much time looking around today.  I just ran on, keeping my feet in tune to a mental cadence that sounded some form of the Magnum P.I. theme.

Mrs. F soon caught up to me with the bike, while I was going up the steepest incline on the route.  I talked her through adjusting her gears so that she could up-shift as she climbed, and I think I ended up taking the hill too fast.  When I got to the top, I was well-winded and had to walk for a bit.  I soon resumed  and ran past the two mile point while Mrs. F rode on.  Soon she circled around to me and stayed alongside for the balance of the route.  I decided to end the run early, when I came to a specific intersection about a half mile from the house. That kept my run to about 2.3 miles, and I walked the rest of the way home. 

My lower back and outer abs are a bit sore, as are my glutes and my quads at my hips, but other than that, I feel fine. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Mrs. F is slated to run again tomorrow morning.  I'm thinking about going with her, just to get back on the same schedule.  Otherwise, my next one will be Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!