Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Monday, January 25, 2010

The treadmill run

Our eldest son did a good part of putting the treadmill together this afternoon before Mr. F came home from work and helped. It was very exciting! All the kids who were old enough were asking for turns on the treadmill. It was fun seeing them all run!

Mr. F got a run in as well, but Ill let him tell you about that. I was really excited to try it out. Overall I found it harder to use. I like the ablity to slowly increase my speed or lower it. But in general, it just seemed like my mileage progress was sooo slow! I think it will be great for short runs (1-2 miles) and great for bad weather days. I think I will stick to my outside runs for the long ones though.

I started the run with the intention of running for 45 minutes. I even let all the kids have their turns first, so that I could get my longer time in. Ha! After it felt like forever(really only 11:49 ) I got to the first mile point. I adjusted my plan to run for 30 minutes. At about 1.5 miles, I thought, forget it -- Im only running 2 miles lol! So I ended up doing 2 miles in 22:30 -- which is an awesome pace -- 11:15. Perhaps if I had slowed it down, maybe it wouldnt have seemed so hard. It just seemed to drag though.

My mp3 player wasnt charged. So Im looking forward to trying that option out. Mr. F also spent several hours getting our wires rewired so that we could get reception downstairs where the treadmill and tv are. I found it hard to concentrate though on the show. It might depend on how interested in the program. It would be interesting to run while watching biggest loser!

On the eating front, it was a tough weekend. On Saturday, I think I was about 300 calories over. Sunday -- I did okay during the day but watching the football game, gave in to the snack cravings. Eeek! Today, too, wasnt the best. But Im officially going to get back on track!!!


Keep on running folks
Mrs. F

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I would chose outside any day to a treadmill. Keep at it. I enjoy seeing your progression. I wigh I could find the dedication to running during the winter that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take outside over the Dreadmill, as I call it, any day. Really enjoy checking in on you and Mr F. You are both inspirations. I whine when i run in 38 degrees but I am a southern girl and use to it being hot. Glad your shins are not too bad. I finished week 7 on the C25K before the shin pain was too bad to run. started over last week. Week 2 begins tomorrow. wish me luck. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found the same thing--I go so much slower on a treadmill and it takes a lot more effort for me, but I will say, it has gotten easier the more times I've done it. It's awesome that you have another option for super busy days or bad weather, though!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!