Here's the skinny: I've been near 300 lbs. for years and need to lose weight. I'm married to a wonderful lady, and we have a family. One of our boys often asks if I'll run with him. I've always had to tell him, "No." In August of '09, my wife learned about a couch-to-5k running program, and I agreed to try it with her. This blog chronicles our progress on that training program. I hope I'll soon be able to surprise my son by telling him, "Yes, I'll go running with you!"

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Tagalong - Completed

Well, we finished our second 5k today.  The course had a number of large hills, but it was not quite like the roller coaster we experienced a couple of weeks ago at our first race.  It was, at the same time, a bit more fun and a little more intimidating to be running with people we know and people who know us.  A number of runners from the cross country team were there, as well as the coach and his wife. We also saw someone from our church, and a number of other somewhat familiar faces from around town.

For me, the first mile was the worst.  Between having done my pushups last night, being up late, and it being very cold this morning (at or below the freezing point), the first mile was simply misery.  From being up early this morning and working our our turkey and other preparations, my back was already sore before we left. Needless to say, my lower back and pelvis were sore by the time I got up the first hill.

This was an inaugural run.  We weren't quite sure how many to expect, but there was a good turnout! As before, I didn't finish last (though I was the last runner), and I didn't place on an ambulance.  Time keeping was a lot less formal here.  They timed me at 42:23, which is 10 seconds slower than my first race, but I'm starting to wonder if our numbers at Chaska were accurate.  I definately finished ahead of my prior pace based on my playlist.  Going by my playlist (which was easy for the Turkey Trot, since it switched to a new song right as I crossed the finish line), I actually finished that prior race in 42:53.  I finshed 15-30 second earlier today, according to my playlist.

Either way, I have no complaints.  Given my weight, my age, and my status as a newbie, I'm pleased with my numbers.  Our son placed second overall.  He was passed in the final seconds by a 40-year old marathon runner. Our son didn't have enough reserves to push any harder at that point.  Mrs. F definately improved her time, but I'll let her tell you about that later.




Apart from the start, the hardest part of this run was in the final few tenths of a mile.  The route had us running toward the finish line area, only to find out that we needed to go by (it was on an intersecting street) and run another block up before turning, running a couple of blocks down, and then rounding our way back to the finish. I had already started pushing it once the finish line was in sight, so it was hard to pace down and keep on running.  I still had enough in reserve to sprint to the finish, though, and that felt pretty good.

I allowed myself to run faster down the hills today.  I relaxed a bit and let my stride stretch out. I watched for any pain in my knees, but none came.  I found returning to a regular stride after a downhill was tough.  Going immediately into an uphill, however, was even tougher.  I did agitate my right shin quite a bit during the race, but my left knee held well. Overall, it was a good race.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Two races under your belt--and on a crazy, busy Thanksgiving morning to boot! Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which race was more intense--the 5k, or the race to get food on the table for 10 hungry kids!

    ReplyDelete

Curious? Surprised? Have some good tips? Please leave a comment for us here. We especially would love to hear about your successes, or to hear your words of encouragement. Knowing you're out there will help us to keep at it!